potency of words

Saturday, May 18, 2013

A glimpse at the De-Suung Training, (7th batch)


E
ver since its establishment, ‘De-suung training program’, it has attracted many people (both employed and unemployed) from different corners of our country. Each of them had their own reasons for joining the institute, however, as the training drew near to its perch it became clear that we all have definitely made no mistake in joining the institute.

When I first heard about De-suung, the word said it all, yet, as I proceed on with my trainings it took me further into an utterly different sphere of world, a world I haven’t envisioned.

I must admit that I found it really difficult to adapt myself around hordes of new faces for first few days. It occurred to me that even a sense of claustrophobia developed within me. However, a feeling of sociability found its place within my heart and within a blink of an eye it started festering all around. And soon time itself began to adorn everything in order around the barracks.

A jovial mood in every conversations, a glittering smile across sweat smeared faces, and making unconsciously funny faces on the drill ground (for such funny expression carried within it a hint of one’s sogginess and dedication) were the daily routine. Regardless of any activities that we were engaged in consolidated a strong sense of voluntarism. There was a very popular cliché among the training staff and the fellow De-suups, “Go wa lan thang gi khe bar” which gives each and every individual to give a second thought upon what we heard, whether to take it positively or the other way round, and most importantly to have a very resolute attitude in doing what one as a responsible citizen are supposed to do, willingly towards enhancing the peace and happiness of the people.

One of the most important aspects of becoming a De-suup was learning to do something that comes from deep within our hearts. It is one of the basic pre-requisites for one to get entitled as a human being. Captain Kinga Norbu, Royal Bhutan Army has slogged all his efforts in convincing us about its importance, “Do what you are meant to do with all your heart not for your personal interest but towards greater public’s interest. Doing things looking at the direct ends such as appreciations, rewards, money, etc, will bring you nothing good; don’t blame others for being appreciated upon efforts that you put in, all you have to do is to carry on doing the right things for a day shall come when you will be appreciated and rewarded.”

As the end drew near I pondered upon the moments I spent during the training and all I could think was the moment when my mind would weaver like a candle light caught in a gush of wind, never consistent with one thought. And soon I realized the fact that when the training comes to an end it would be a part of world I could never be part of anymore, a world, where each of us give our best, and open ourselves to the extend that lied beyond our grasp. What’s more heartbreaking about the end was the closing ceremony; it was the warmest farewell that we have ever received. Each officers starting from the commandant to the instructors stood by the side of the footpath who bid farewell to the fellow desuups one by one. There was another party who stood flanking the footpath holding different musical instruments and the tune (a Bhutanese song ‘majo majo choe tshu gi ko zha bay) which as they played made our eyes fill with tears. I tried to look back wishing it wasn’t over, not yet. Although I shuffled slowing along the path I found myself getting further and further away from the people I have met in this short period of time and it was far from being interminable. However, part of me convinced me to walk with a smug face because I have learnt many values that I won’t have acquired anywhere else in this world.

Now its time for us to put whatever we have learnt into the real world, to make the word ‘voluntarism’ a real task. Let’s wake up from this trance to be a responsible person in whatever ways we could towards making places around us a better one to live. Let us not forget evermore who we have become ‘De-suup’ and let’s act like one.



No comments:

Post a Comment